Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: REQ Manga recs for a new Love Mode fan

  1. #1
    Inactive Member tanaquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello everyone, I'm new here and thrilled to discover this place!

    I just stumbled across Love Mode this weekend and am hopelessly addicted. I read all the scanlations in one afternoon and immediately started looking for the translations of the later volumes so I could find out what happens next. I [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] LM [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ... is that enough hearts yet? Throw in a few more just to be sure. Kinda like those cute conversations between Tsuzuki and the Hokkaido girls in YnM 4 where the hearts are just floating all over the place.

    Until I started reading the series, I never even knew it existed. Now I'm wondering what else is out there that I might be missing. Soo...

    Given that my favorite manga right now are Gravitation, Yami no Matsuei, FAKE and now LM, what would y'all recommend that I might be missing?

    Read: I love comedy and romance; angst is OK (especially if it leads to lots of hurt/comfort scenes) but I have to at least be able to HOPE that most of the characters are going to end up happily. I have very, very low tolerance for tragic endings and the death of favorite characters. I'm still recovering from the trauma of episode 33 of Fushigi Yuugi (you FY fans know what I'm talking about...) and I saw that YEARS ago (Ah, FY is still one of my favorite series though). I don't get the appeal of evil, sadistic characters... sorry all you Muraki fans out there, don't mean to offend, but I only tolerate his presence in YnM because he's responsible for most of the Tsuzuki/Hisoka hurt-comfort scenes!

    So I'm looking to read new stuff, but the yaoi minefield seems to be littered with angsty/tragic storylines (geez, life isn't hard enough for gay people in this world, now all their love stories have to end with people committing suicide?), so what should I try next? What should I avoid? Advise please!

    I can't read Japanese (though I love to pretend by buying lots of Japanese manga), so am looking for stuff that is at least partially translated or scanlated. You can torment me by mentioning stuff that's only in Japanese though. [img]wink.gif[/img] I just saw the OVA of Seikimatsu Darling and practically fell out of bed laughing. That looks so adorable, I might have to learn Japanese just so that I can read the manga and its sequel, which are supposed to be even cuter.

    Since we're talking shonen ai and sappy romance/comedy here, I'll end with a random recommendation of my own... if you've seen FY all the way to the end of the main series, and you still can't forgive Yuu Watase for not letting Nuriko and Hotohori get together (grrr), go to fanfiction.net and check out Purple Mouse's two long stories, Another Story and Yet Another Story (the latter is unfinished, *cries*). A Nuriko/Hotohori reincarnation fic, my all time favorite fanfic ever, and guaranteed to induce both cavities and fits of giggles.

    Ja minna!

    Tana-chan

    PS Ah geez... I just had to go back and edit this because I originally put in TOO MANY HEARTS for Love Mode!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Lamasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    85
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    both Sakende Yaruze (which is scanlated here) and Yume no Kodomo have lovely endings are not too heavy on the angst and are ever so cute Gentle and have a good story and characters. I think Essence of Purity doing Yume no Kodomo, not sure though...

    as for other recomendations I usually go for hard core nasty evil yaoi...(well my current favourite has good ending somewere amongst all that delicious smutt but Smut it still is =^_^=)

  3. #3
    Inactive Member aramaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2003
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL...I think I'm goin to agree with lamasu...good 'ol yaoi smutness with good ending is my taste now xDDD

    but...in the other hands...maybe I'll recommend 'colours' which can be found in Desperate Love (go to links and find that site^^ ) nice starting and ending ^^

    for non-yaoi ones...I'm in dire need of more and more ludwig-samaaaaa ^3^/ the ending?? it's still too early to know ^^

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jadey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you should go to ob-session.net. they have alot of yaoi. angsty stuff, funny stuff. my favorites over there are Rifle Scope and this one called Kimi No Naka De Nemurasete. Rifle Scope is more sexual than the other.

    for a general list of all yaoi sites/scanlation etc go to dailymanga.org. its in french but you can read all the titles. when i went there it definetly expanded my reading!

    oh and welcome to the board ^_^

  5. #5
    Inactive Member SailorPenguinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2003
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    http://re-chan.cjb.net/ <---Game Over or Continue...

    Lots of shounen-ai and yaoi stuff. ...But I think it's angsty...I don't remember, but they do have small summeries and they'll normally say if it has angst or not. They're scanlated in english, but they haven't updated for a couple of weeks...

    I personally liked the story 'Rapunzel' ^^ You should read that one first. It's not THAT full of angst. Yep yep. Well, happy reading.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member yukawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2002
    Posts
    441
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    just to say, daily manga isn't completly in french, if you go in the yellow stripde at the top of the page, beside the palce marked "search" ["Recherche"] there is little round pics of a France and USA flag. the links by them is a bit off, at the right of the USA flag you click (the cursor will change anyway so you'll know where) and you'll have the english version of the site. The summaries aren't translated but the day of realeases and general information yes . Just as a side note ^^ . As for other site, well, I guess that from there you can see links to other sites. Oh, and at each releases of ludwig SAkrua-crisis.net goes in the top 5 top team! isn't this great? Tho' I never recall up to date a yaoi project being in the top 10 manga even when the 3 first top sites where yaoi ones. weird o__?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Crystallyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2003
    Posts
    152
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [img]cool.gif[/img] Yay, another Love Mode convert! Welcome to the board! *glomps*

    (Don't worry, I might seem odd but I'm not dangerous until you put me and Carole and Risu-chan together, and for that you need to check out the RP boards, [img]wink.gif[/img] )

    Well, this one is sappy/silly/romantic and still shonen-ai (not yaoi, nothing graphic yet). Try reading a Korean manwa called Demon Diary. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    TokyoPop has already released Volumes 1 - 3 in english, and I absolutely love them! The relationship between the two main characters is developing slowly, but I can definitely read something into it.

    Anyway, check it out. You seem to like a lot of the same ones I do. Have you read Petshop of Horrors? Not shonen-ai (at least not yet, I guess) but still definitely worthy of reading. Once again, Volumes 1 - 3 are out in english.

    ~Crystal
    (wow, [img]eek.gif[/img] I hadn't realized I had so much manga on my bookshelves, XD )

    [Edit] PS: Dude, check it out! This is my #100 post! Wow, has it really been that long? ^_____^ :: dances around :: so happy now! woohoo!

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ October 21, 2003 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Crystallyne ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member goddessneptune's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kizuna is great because it's got a nice mix of angst and humor. Plus Enjouji is just HOT and Kai is so cute (a little bit of a brat but meh...). Kizuna is a classic, unfortunately hidden pages is down at the moment, but you can find some scanlations of the first volume on wuffie.net. When I first read it though I found that it took me 2 vols. to really become engaged with everything that was going on. Lots of hot sex in in a some chibis, some yakuza action, some angst, romance...I'd have to say that Kizuna was my first *yaoi* love

    As a sidenote though if you want Kizuna anime OVA #1 and 2 (the two commercialized ones) are dreadful and #3 is okay (it's funny and has a cute theme song anyways)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •